Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How deep can you go in ID

Default How deep can you go in ID

Hi all!

My record was ID ~1100, then quickling king too close to stairs and then death screen.
    Im wondering is there any "world record" in ID to hunt for?

Quote Originally Posted by Ba_Tomo View Post
    Hi all!

My record was ID ~1100, then quickling king too close to stairs and then death screen.
    Im wondering is there any "world record" in ID to hunt for?
    The possibilities probably match the maximum for a signed or unsigned 32 or 64 bit number.

After reaching this amount my prediction is that either the game will crash, you'll find yourself at the first dungeon level again, or find yourself on the wilderness map.
    Idiots play in mysterious ways...

An archmage or equivalent power level character should in theory be able to reach whatever depth they want, up to 32-bit max int. In practice, there are likely to be severe performance issues long before even the millionth level. Making it into the thousands with a non-archmage is no small feat, but it's rather pointless to compete over depth records.

Quote Originally Posted by Grond View Post
    In practice, there are likely to be severe performance issues long before even the millionth level.
    I'm curious what makes you think so. There would be not much point keeping random unrepeatable dungeons in memory.

Quote Originally Posted by auricbond View Post
    I'm curious what makes you think so. There would be not much point keeping random unrepeatable dungeons in memory.
    I've been that deep. There are severe performance issues. Most likely some problems related to the ludicrously leveled monsters.

I know that 32 or 31 bit number is max lvl and math is clear to me (for 31-bit number): with speed of 3 seconds/floor (1200/hour), 8 hours/day and 365 days/year you need ~613 years to go that deep (2xtime for 32-bit). I was asking for information like this from Grond ("he was very deep but long before even millionth level"). Performance issues may be coming from fight of two (or more) monsters with insane LVL/DV/HP numbers?

For "pointless" part: is there point in trying to get lvl 50 in Wilderness/SC only?

Quote Originally Posted by Ba_Tomo View Post
    For "pointless" part: is there point in trying to get lvl 50 in Wilderness/SC only?
    I think both of these challenges are pretty bad/pointless too! The interesting part is the strategies required, but these are known, and implementing them involves about a 1000:1 ratio of grinding to challenge.

Reaching record depths in ID suffers from a similar issue. The strategy would be to create an archmage or item-duplication fiend, increase speed to 1000+, have some form of life saving, and then magic mapping+teleport until you die of old age IRL. If you want to be a really poor sport, do this with a crushed Necromancer. There's not really anything to worry about, aside from the game lagging or crashing.

I once cheat-engined myself into something like ID:60000. Vortices are not cool that deep.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    I once cheat-engined myself into something like ID:60000. Vortices are not cool that deep.
    'cept ice vortices

Quote Originally Posted by Grond View Post
    I think both of these challenges are pretty bad/pointless too! The interesting part is the strategies required, but these are known.
    I know only one strategy for SMC - lv50 in wilderness and pop in SMC at the end. Are any proper strategies for this feature/achievement?
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)